Friday 29 May 2009

Spinach and Mushroom Tortilla

Over 20years ago I worked in a Mexican restaurant, it was hot hard work but the food that was created was delicious, the restaurant is still here in town, and still popular. During my years of bush living this dish was a regular when we ran out of meat,we picked fresh mushrooms grew spinach and I always had cheese, I make my own tortillas.

1 onion finely chopped
250 grams small mushrooms sliced thinly
1 mild chili deseeded and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic
s/p
250 gms spinach leaves
150 gms grated cheese
1/2 teaspoon Vegeta or 1 stock cube(optional)
6-8 tortillas

Fry onion in oil till soft, add mushrooms garlic and chili.
Add the spinach and cook till soft.
Add cheese and stock, s/p and stir till melted
let cool slightly add a spoonful of the mixture to the centre of the tortilla
fold in the ends and roll up ensure the tortillas are sealed.
Deep fry turning once till crisp and golden brown.