Thursday 7 May 2009

Steak and kidney pudding

When I was 21 I cooked almost every recipe in a cook book I got for my birthday.
This Steak and kidney pudding was one of them, its an oldy but a goody.
I made it for years for my son who loved it, but in the last decade I have only cooked it a couple of times a year but I still love the flavour.


Crust
2 Cups Self Raising flour
1 teaspn salt
4 tablespns butter
cold water to mix
Filling
500gms beef (any steak)
200gms kidneys (lamb is my preference)
2 tablespns flour seasoned with salt/pepper
1 onion chopped
2 beef stock cubes

Add flour and salt/pepper into a blender add butter blend.
Add 1/2 cup water a spoonfull a time
Mix to a dough wrap in gladwrap,- rest 5-10mins
Knead pastry cut into 2 enough to line a greased pudding basin.
Save enough for a lid.

Wash and cut out the core and chop kidneys into pieces toss in flour.
chop onions
Cut steak toss in flour,add to greased pan and fry till just brown,add a small amount of water and more flour if needed to make a gravy, add 2 beef stock cubes . cool.
Fill pastry lined pudding basin. Roll out pastry lid and add to the top press edges well to seal.
Cover with greased paper and foil tie securly under the rim.
Place in pot of water that reaches just over 1/2 way up pudding basin, add lid to pot.
Steam for 3 hrs adding water when needed, do let the water get too high or too low.