Friday 27 February 2009

Vegatable Filo

I love Filo pastry I dont use Frozen filo I like it from the fridge or fresh,and use it often for many dishes.
I remember when I first came across filo in a small delicatessan in Smith st Collingwood in my early 20,s.
The Deli transformed my way of cooking.
Smith st Collingwood was a multicultural diverse town before it turned upmarket and unaffordable.
This is a simple yummy vegatarian dish.
Make filling first


1 onion finelly chopped
small ammount of parsley chopped finely
1 cup pumkin grated
2 cup grated potato
1 cup grated carrot
when grated wash hands and squeeze excess moisture out with your hands before you add cheese
1 cup grated cheese
2 stock cubes
s/p
1 egg as a binder

Add all ingredients together and mix well it works better if you use your hands

2 tablespns Melted butter for brushing filo

Unfold filo pastry
Lay out one sheets and brush with melted butter continue till you have used around half the packet or you have a good thickness
Add filling to bottom half of filo fold the ends over and roll into strudel shape.
Brush with butter sprinkle with sesame seed, bake till golden brown in a moderate oven about 180 degrees C